Monday 5 November 2012

My Place In My World

I figure I should probably tell you a bit about what I did yesterday (and today), as it is a pretty big part of what I actually do, both in the circus and as in my life.

 (Although some would argue the two are one in the same. I’m yet to decide if I feel like I have a life outside the circus. I want one, I think, but I can’t imagine a life without the circus. I can’t imagine a static life. I need movement, I need change, I need mutability. I need to be able to come and go as I please. I need to be unattached to physical locations. For the most part the circus gives me that. It gives me the freedom to explore and see the world. And it gives me familiarity too. Which is nice amongst the change. To have a constant that follows me with it. I understand that is somewhat contradictory, to crave stasis amongst change, but I think it’s true for everyone. We all want something familiar to follow us through new and different experiences, places and things. But, there’s still this part of me that wonders what would it be like to live a normal life? To live in one place. To have a job, in the traditional sense. To own a house, a car, to have a wife and two point four children and/or a pet. To have grown up through the school system, playing football down the street. Little things that I read about or see in films and on the television that I’ll never have. I guess I’m just curious, really, to see how things could have been different. Anyway, that was a slightly longer aside than I originally intended, but it just made me think, you know?)

You see, my family and I get sent ahead of the rest of the circus - either a day or two ahead or we go out whilst their setting up – and we stand on street corners and perform. It’s our job to tantalise a crowd, to show them our skills and to make them wonder what else we can do. Freddie and his dad used to come with us, but now Freddie does it on his own. Like I said (wrote?) yesterday, I’ve never met a more charismatic kid, and it’s his job to turn a watching crowd into an audience big enough to fill a Big Top. We set him up, we have to pick a space where a large volume of people will walk past, say a high street or something, but we’ve also got to pick a space where we can get in the way. A space where if ten or fifteen people stop, they block enough of the way so other people who want to get through have to slow down and maybe stop and watch too. Although, we can’t pick a too smaller space, or else we won’t have enough room to perform and there won’t be enough space for a crowd to gather. It’s pretty technical stuff, actually (he says, lying).

Anyway. So we draw the crowds, we perform a small set, mostly just throwing batons around and if anybody in the crowd has anything weighty enough to throw we’ll toss that around a bit. We’d throw knives and fire if the councils would allow us – we’ve tried it a couple of times but the police always notice and intervene, so it’s not really worth it. I do a small act on a unicycle and mama and papa have this crazy routine all worked out that they’ve been performing since they were my age. Whilst we’re doing this, Freddie will walk round the crowd handing out leaflets and selling tickets. His is the harder job – it’s pretty easy to get somebody (or even a group of some bodies) to stand around for five, maybe even ten minutes, watching me chuck around balls and batons and purses, but it’s a damn sight harder to get that person to cough up a tenner to watch a show. Freddie’s job is to make it seems a worthwhile amount of money. To be honest, as it is we need tickets to be at least a tenner a go to break even with the crowds we’re pulling, especially at this time of year. As I’ve said, I don’t know how anybody can refuse Freddie, once he starts on the charm offensive – I’ve picked up some of my best moves watching him pull the crowds, but it can be a struggle to fill the tent.

So that’s how I’ve spent the past two days, standing on a street corner/ down a high street, freezing my balls off (get it? as in both juggling balls and my actual balls). So, life in the circus isn’t all fun and games. We’ve got our first show of the week tonight though. It’s strange that we’re performing on a Monday, usually we wouldn’t bother, but as its Guy Fawkes Night too we’ve made a bit of a theme of it and are holding a bonfire party afterwards for the crowd. Figure we can pull a few more people that way. I should probably go an practise (not like I haven’t been practising all day or anything, but Monsieur Loyal hates it if we even get one throw off, and you do not want to be on the wrong side of him, no matter what day of the week it is), but I’ll try to update on the evening performance before I turn in for the night. It should be one to remember.

Au revoir, best wishes, and I hope you enjoyed the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment